Blonde Stouts Make a Big Splash in the Craft Beer World
I love hearing the stories behind the beers. And this one is a doozie.
Charlie from the Blue Cat Brewing Co brought in a "blonde stout". Those familiar with the craft beer world may have never heard of this particular style before. "Blonde ales," yes...but not "blonde stouts."
The head brewer talked about brewing this particular beer, now known as "Lovecraft", and it's been a labor of love:
"This beer has been a labor of trial and error for several years by our Brewmaster and is finally ready to be debuted. The “Pale Stout” style is new in the last few years and the breweries that do them well keep their secrets close to their chest. This beer may look like a Pale Ale but it’s roasty, chocolaty, sweet, and full bodied just like a stout. So how do did we get all of the flavors of a stout without the dark color? It’s a secret"
As far as the name goes, he's a little bit more of an open book. Charlie and his fiance Jess were pouring at a Goose Island event and didn't have a name for it. After a back and forth "brain dump" of coffee phrases and lingo due to it's roasty, coffee-esque qualities, he decided to go back to some familiar Blue Cat roots.
One of the most popular Blue Cat flagship beers, "Arkam Stout", is a reference to the fictional city in HP Lovecraft stories (NOT a Batman reference as some may believe).
Simply calling this blonde stout "Lovecraft" is a nod to the legacy of the Blue Cat and the "Love" of the "Craft" beer world that most certainly will welcome this new style with open arms.
Upcoming Craft Beer Events:
July 9 QC Beer Club with Rebels & Lions Brewing at Rebellion Brew Haus 1:00 PM - Join Today
What's New on Tap
- 5ive2722 Pineapple Coconut Sour at Five Cities Brewing
- Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Pastry Sour at Bent River Brewing Company
- Hefe Metal at Stompbox Brewing
- Kölsch Meow, Dubbel Dragon Belgian Dubbel at Nerdspeak Brewery
- Aseethe Hazy IPA and Bastardized West Coast Pilsner at Wake Brewing
- Barrel-Aged Accidental Beans Imperial Stout, Green Apple Sour at Adventurous Brewing-Key Lime Pucker Princess Sour and Constant Construction Hazy Rye IPA at Contrary Brewing-Big Dipper Belgian Blonde Ale and Peach Wrangler Sour Ale at Great Revivalist Brew Lab-SumMAW Shanty and Bourbon Barrel-Aged Schwarzbier at Midwest Ale Works-Strawberries & Cream Blonde Ale at Radicle Effect Brewerks
Join the Club! The Quad Cities Beer Club
On the second Saturday each month, local craft beer fans get together at a local brewery, taphouse, or pub to support the local craft beer scene.
QCBC members get exclusive deals on beer during meetups, take part in the six-pack mix-pack bottle share, get chances to win giveaways each month, and access to discounted and FREE tickets to some of the best craft beer events.
Come make some new friends, sign up at CraftQC.com today!
Best Quad Cities Area Dive Bars
Here are some of the best 'Hole in the Wall" taverns in the Quad Cities
Forget the Pedal Tavern: This QCA Floating Tiki Bar Is How to Summer
Meet Princeton's Tiki Tavern, a floating tiki bar that you can rent!