Winter Storm To Bring A Lot Of Snow, Ice & Rain Midweek To Iowa
Want to know what it's like to live in Iowa? Most of us are about to get a solid reminder. The National Weather Service says a multi-faceted storm will bring snow, ice, heavy rain, winds, and possibly even some thunder during the midweek.
The Quad Cities area will see more of the rain and ice while the northern half of Iowa will get the snow with some areas possibly getting over a foot of snow.
Snow Will Dump On North Iowa
According to the National Weather Service of Des Moines, precipitation chances ramp up Wednesday morning and afternoon across the state and continue into Wednesday night before winding down early Thursday.
Because of temperature differences, there will be varying precipitation types from north to south. Heavy snow and blowing snow are likely near the Minnesota border, with some areas in Iowa having a chance of snowfall totals ranging from 9-13 inches. This may create very difficult travel conditions.
A Lot Of Ice From Western To Northeast Iowa
According to the National Weather Service of the Quad Cities, we should expect rain, freezing rain, and sleet on Wednesday. The freezing rain and sleet are favored for areas in Iowa along and north of Highway 20.
In the southern part of the area, especially south of Interstate 80, there could be some rumblings of thunder with this heavy rain.
Up to a quarter inch of ice could accumulate in areas in northeast Iowa making travel extremely dangerous.
Strong Winds In Iowa On Thursday
After the snow, ice, freezing rain, sleet, and heavy rain pass through, the majority of Iowa will be dealing with strong winds, according to the National Weather Service of Des Moines.
Wind gusts on Wednesday in northwest Iowa are expected to get up to 45 mph in some areas. Those same wind gust speeds will impact the Quad Cities area on Thursday.
Here is the forecast for the work week, according to the National Weather Service of the Quad Cities:
- Increasing clouds, with a high near 38°.
- Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 36°.
- Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Rain, mainly after 10 am. High near 43°.
- East wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- The chance of precipitation is 100%.
- New precipitation amounts between three-quarters and one inch possible.
- Wednesday Night
- Rain is likely, mainly before midnight.
- Cloudy, with a low of around 35°.
- Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
- The chance of precipitation is 60%.
- New precipitation amounts between a tenth and a quarter of an inch possible.
- Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42°.
- Thursday Night
- Mostly cloudy, with a low of around 11°.
- Partly sunny, with a high near 26°.