As much as Americans love to grumble about taxes, nearly 8 out of every 10 of us receive a refund, according to the IRS. H&R Block reported that in 2012, the average refund for folks with incomes under $50,000 was about $2,086.

We're pretty evenly split when it comes to what we do with our refund money between paying bills, and big ticket purchases like vehicles, or a vacation.

But, before you can get a refund, you have to file a return. Depending on your income and your life situation, filing a return can be costly.

For those with household income below the $57,000, the United Way offers free tax preparation services through their Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.

United Way has set up an easy number -- 2-1-1 -- available 24/7 for you to call to make an appointment at one of 14 locations in the Quad Cities between February 1 and April 15.

According to our news partners at WQAD, just under 6,500 residents used the VITA program in 2016. On average, families got an average of $1,700 on their refunds.

Here are the locations available for free tax prep:

  • Bettendorf Community Center, 2204 Grant St., Bettendorf
  • Center for Active Seniors (CASI), 1035 W Kimberly Rd., Davenport
  • Clinton RSVP, 315 South 2nd, Clinton
  • East Moline Public Library, 740 16th, East Moline
  • Fairmount Pines Community Center, 4205 N. Fairmount St., Davenport
  • Friendly House, 1221 Myrtle St., Davenport
  • Geneseo Public Library, 805 N Chicago St., Geneseo
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. Center, 630 9th, Rock Island (walk-ins available Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.)
  • Moline Public Library, 3210 41st, Moline
  • Palomares Social Justice Center, 133 4th, Moline
  • Rock Island County Senior Center, 2221 11th, Rock Island
  • Rock Island Township Hall, 2827 7th, Rock Island
  • Silvis Public Library, 105 8th, Silvis
  • Western Illinois University, 3300 River Dr., Moline

Be sure to bring the following items with you when you go:

  • Valid driver’s license or photo ID
  • All W-2 forms
  • Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for all members in your family
  • Address and tax identification of any child care provider
  • Copy of 2015 tax return
  • All 1099 forms (if applicable)
  • Account numbers for electronic deposit of refund
  • Health insurance documentation
  • If filing jointly, your spouse must be present



More From US 104.9