‘Field Of Dreams’ TV Series Is No Longer Happening, Dropped By NBC
They aren't filming so there is no need to come.
As NBC was preparing to start filming the new Field Of Dreams series in Iowa this fall, much hype has been built up. One of those filming locations in the Hawkeye state included the city of Clinton and Clinton County. The hype can be laid to rest as NBC announced they are no longer moving forward with the show.
Many Iowans were getting excited for filming to begin for Peacock's (NBC's streaming service) new series Field Of Dreams. The series, of course, is based on the 1989 film starring Kevin Costner. The series was set to be filmed in various cities and counties in the state of Iowa. One of those locations included Clinton.
Earlier this week, we heard from Lesley Webster, Director of Placemaking & Tourism for Grow Clinton who told WHBF:
We are excited to be part of the upcoming ‘Field of Dreams’ television series. Although we do not have many specific details provided to us yet, we expect to host filming at our NelsonCorp Field, home of the Clinton LumberKings, sometime in September or October.
On Friday, we learned that filming is no longer happening in Clinton or anywhere in the state of Iowa as NBC announced they are dropping the series.
Variety reports that NBCUniversal has decided to put the project away. The series was to be directed by Michael Schur, who created shows like The Office, Parks and Recreation, and The Good Place. The Field Of Dreams series was also set to be in collaboration with the film's producer Lawrence Gordon and Universal TV. The series was previously given a straight-to-series order in August 2021, Variety reports.
Deadline says in its report,
"It’s believed that the show has been casting and is a month out from production with seven hour-long scripts ready to go. As recently announced, filming was slated to take place throughout Iowa, which is supporting the series financially, as well as Boston, Minneapolis and Los Angeles."
Filming for the show is expected to begin around Labor Day and last through early October.
Luckily, the MLB Field Of Dreams game is still happening this year. Details on that game is below:
Field of Dreams Game Quick Facts:
- Who is playing? Chicago Cubs vs. Cincinnati Reds
- When is the game? August 11, 2022
- Yes, this is a regular-season game.
- Yes, the game will be broadcasted.
- There are 8,000 seats in the stadium.
- What will the field look like? It's been designed to look like Comiskey Park, the home of the White Sox from 1910-1990. Surely, this year will have a spin for the Chicago Cubs.
- The field won't be destroyed, so what happens next? The owners of the movie site and MLB will negotiate the next
- Is this the smallest MLB facility? No, Bowman Field in Williamsport, PA. only has 2,366 seats.
- This is the second MLB regular-season game in Iowa. In Fort Dodge, IA an exhibition game was played between the White Sox and the Cubs back in 1942.
- Will people come? They built it. We will come.
The Quad Cities River Bandits and Cedar Rapids Kernels will play at the Field Of Dreams stadium days before the Cubs and Reds on August 9th. Details for that game are here.